NATO said on Sunday it does not plan to extend the mandate of long-serving NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg for a fourth time, which is due to expire in October.
NATO Spokesperson Oana Lungescu said: “Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg’s mandate has been extended three times, and he served for a total of about nine years. The Secretary-General’s term ends in October of this year. He has no intention of asking for a further extension of his tenure of office.”
Former Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg took office at NATO’s headquarters in Brussels on 1 October 2014 and has led the Western alliance through many international crises. Stoltenberg also oversaw NATO’s response to the Russia-Ukraine war, which began in February 2022 and was the most brutal war on European soil since the 1940s. The Secretary-General has been a bridge between European allies and Washington, especially during the time of former US president Donald Trump, who has been a frequent critic of NATO.
Diplomats from various NATO allies thought Stoltenberg’s mandate could be extended once again until next year’s summit to celebrate the alliance’s 75th anniversary. But after his visit to Washington last week, his office announced that Stoltenberg would not seek a further extension.